Thursday 27 February 2014

Is it all downhill from here?

I suddenly had a shock realization the other day. I like antiques! I crave china tea sets and shoes that don't hurt my feet. I hate trousers that nip my waist. I'm fed up of battling to choose between Cappuccino and Latte and that kind of thing when I go for a coffee. Talking of coffee, the last time I visited a pub, I ended up having a coffee rather than anything alcoholic. I can't decide whether it's because I am finally brave enough to admit to myself that I want what I want, rather than what society wants for me, or whether I am simply getting old and before you know it I will be looking for shoes with velcro, drooling over American tan tights, wanting comfortable elasticated waistbanded 'slacks' and pouring myself a Sherry before dinner. I hope it's not that, I hope instead that it's just that I have finally found my own unique style.

From an early age I was encouraged to think for myself, to be an individual and dare to be different. As a teenager it was hard to do this. Teenagers can be vile creatures, picking up on the least sign of difference and using it as a weapon to hurt you with.  I always wanted to set the trends (though I was never brave enough to do it ). Even now I want to hack a new path through the forest of choices out there and find something different and interesting, a point of interest. I don't want to be like one lady I know who got as far as about page 27 of a furniture catalogue and ordered the entire page.

I like to see the beauty in things, especially things that are not traditionally what you would describe as beautiful. There is a power station just up the coast which sits more or less on the edge of the beach. It's not beautiful as such, in fact you could argue that it is a bit of an eye sore really. A blot on the landscape. But I love it, it has such power, such beauty. Yet it's beauty is something that maybe not everyone can appreciate.

Next time I am up that way I will take a photograph and share it with you. Maybe you'll be able to see the beauty of it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment